WC Smith Opens 250 M Street SE, New HQ for DC Dept. of Transportation
250 M Street SE, the new headquarters for the DC Department of Transportation (DDOT) developed by WC Smith, opened February 24, 2021.
DDOT Interim Director Everett Lott and DC Department of General Services Director Keith A. Anderson joined WC Smith for a ribbon-cutting ceremony. DDOT will be the sole occupant.
Located across the street from the U.S. Department of Transportation, the 9-story, state-of-the-art building comprises 180,000 square feet of office space, 6,600 square feet of retail space and a smaller space that will be the DDOT Commuter Store, and a 3-level underground parking garage.
Among the notable features of the building are:
- A custom paint-on-canvas art installation in DDOT’s lunchroom, designed and created by DC artist Michael Crossett.
- Reclaimed wood provided by DDOT’s Urban Forestry division used to make work tables in collaboration spaces throughout the building.
- A fitness center.
- Wellness and mothers’ rooms, and a prayer/worship room.
- Unique wall and floor art adorning elevator waiting areas on the 2nd to 9th
- A conference space that will be available for community use.
Incorporating sustainability into the building design and use was top priority. The core and shell received LEED Gold Certification; similar certification is pending for the interior tenant spaces. The garage has 125 EV charging stations and a bike storage room that can accommodate 64 DDOT fleet and personal bicycles. The building has a green roof and accessible roof terrace.
HITT was the general contractor; Hickok Cole were the building architects and Studios were the architects for tenant improvements.