City View Named Sustainable Innovative Project of the Year
WC Smith’s City View development won the Innovative Project of the Year – Residential/National Capital Region award from the US Green Building Council.
Certified LEED Gold, City View features numerous sustainable features that were cited in its nomination for the award. Among them:
- The use of bioretention ponds and native and adaptive plans for stormwater management. Since all plantings in this project assist with stormwater, irrigation was not required, reducing water use.
- A solar array on the roof that assists with the total energy cost savings for this project
- All flooring and paints/coating products met Low Emitting requirements.
- 58% water savings, achieved through no permanent irrigation of plants, the use of low flow and WaterSense fixtures, as well as ENERGY STAR rated appliances.
- 37% total energy cost savings
- 25% reduction in peak dwelling unit lighting power attributed to the use of high efficacy LED lighting fixtures.
The full description can be found here.
Completed in 2019, City View is an affordable 58-unit development adjacent to Sheridan Station. Certified LEED Gold, the building has an Energy Star roof, Energy Star windows, and energy efficient individual HVAC and hot water heaters. Kitchens feature stainless steel Energy Star appliances, including dishwashers and microwaves.